Saturday, July 11, 2009

Who knew that you could miss a couch this much??

Well, this weekend has officially been wonderful. On Friday, I left dear old K-West at noon for a 4-8 (kamp lingo for 2 days off). So I drove up to Springfield and then flew down to Abilene, TX. A friend from high school, Kallie, got married today and I'm so glad that I got to be here for it!! What a blessing! I had already missed 3 weddings this summer because of kamp and I didn't want to miss a 4th! So, thankfully, things worked out and i was able to come. Last night was the rehearsal dinner, which was so much fun! It was just cool to see people and hear the blessings that people gave them. I almost started crying when Amelia, her maid of honor and my best friend from high school, gave her speech. She did an awesome job! After the dinner, it was fun to just get to hang out and spend one more night with the girls. I actually ended up spending the night at Kallie's house, which was cool since it was her last night at home. She tried on her dress and made sure everything was good to go for the next day. She was so beautiful!

Today, Saturday, was so fun! We got up and went to the church in the morning and now I can see why weddings are so stressful! There's so much to be done! But so fun! It was cool to get to be a small part of it. Kallie asked my to play my djembe in one song, How Deep the Father's Love for Us, that we played as the family came in. I felt so honored! The whole wedding was basically a worship service!! Kallie and her now-husband, Lance, both have big Abilene families, but Kallie's extended family is particularly MASSIVE and SUPER TALENTED!! There were 3 separate performances by different members of her family during the wedding. It was so cool to see how family oriented they both are and how they really wanted to include that in their wedding. I had a blast playing in my first wedding! So fun! So, overall, it was a great wedding. The reception was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Unfortunately, no dancing, since it was an afternoon wedding, but Kallie and Lance were anxious to get out and head to Dallas to catch a plane to Lake Tahoe in the morning. And guess what friends?? I CAUGHT THE BOUQUET!!! haha....that's right. I'm next!! Umm...well, we'll see. I kind of have to find a guy first I guess. It was so crazy. I did not mean at all to catch it, but she threw it as they were driving off and everybody like leaned out of the way--they were so freaked out to catch it!! So, I guess my instinct just popped in. I didn't want the bouquet to hit the ground, and hey, if no one else was going to catch it, WHY NOT?!? I wish I could put some pictures up, but I'm not on my computer as I'm writing this.

So, anyway, to go with the title of the blog today, two days off is absolutely incredible and sitting on a couch is even better! It just hit me this summer that there are NO REAL COUCHES at kamp. I don't know why that's so weird to me, but I just love being in a real house and sitting on a couch. I literally have not been in a real house since May 21st when I left Nice and Popaw's house to come up to kamp. So it's been a sweet and refreshing weekend. I'm heading back early tomorrow morning, though. My flight is at 6:30 out of Abilene. I'm shooting to get back to K-West by noon, so we'll see if it happens!

As of July 7th, things have completely changed for me at kamp. That was staff changeover day. My stellar cos and most of the dear friends that I had made so far this summer had to leave : ( Not going to lie, it was a rough day. I cried at least 3 times randomly throughout the day. So my cos left, and I had to make an almost immediate switch from being a counselor that morning to moving into the kitchie cabin and helping serve out dinner that night. It was quite an emotional and draining day! Although I still do miss people A LOT, especially Kyle and Diana, I'm starting to adjust. I still fell like i don't know half of this new staff. My goal for this week, however, is to learn half of the girls names by Thursday. I don't know if I mentioned this yet or not, but I asked Erin Groth (who is on leadership at K-West and also heads up Waco K-Life) to disciple me this summer and hopefully into the year. We had our first meeting early Thursday morning and have decided to study the book of John together. She also challenged me to build relationships with the new counselors staff since SURPRISE--I get to go back to being a counselor for the last two weeks of the summer!!! HOORAAYYY!!! And I get to be with cabin 11, some of the oldest TWO weekers! Awesome! So unexpected, but such a blessing! Right now, as a kitchie, I have adopted cabin 12, the oldest cabin, or UNREAL DEAL, as my cabin. It's cool to go to their nightly devos and hang out with them and their counselors, Elea and Lydia. Elea is actually the one that I'm going to be switching with for the last two weeks so Lydia will be my co. She seems great!

But MAN, the kitchen is WORK! I've only been in there for a few days, but I'm already feeling it! There is a lot to think about and remember as we are still getting used to things and there are a TON of dishes to wash and mounds of pots and pans to scrub! We rotate jobs every meal, but each of them are equally fun and challenging at the same time. I actually kind of like scrubbing pots and serving stuff out. I also enjoy standing in the walk-in freezer or fridge for a few seconds when it gets really hot! I love the girls that I'm working with. Our boss is so great and I can already tell that we are going to be a great group! They really look out for me and love me. At first it was weird to make the switch because I kept feeling like I should be with kids, but it's been cool to have more time with people my own age and grow together as a little family. I can't wait to tell you more about it as we continue to spend time together! Right now, please just pray for energy and excitement for me and the other kitchies and cooks. The kitchen makes you a different kind of tired than being a counselor did, and I'm really struggling with that right now. Also just pray for the staff as things kind of start over with a new group and for continued health and safety. Also, I would love it if you would pray for my new discipleship journey with Erin! Thanks so much! I love you all and can't wait to see you and catch up. And hey Beth--I met Ashley Nicks when she came in! She told me she knew you! So fun!

Alright, well it's way late. I'm going to get some shut eye so I can be semi-rested when I head back to kamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment